Update on the Metaverse Proposal

As of my last article, I had promised to explore the interconnect, and to provide a proposal for a Metaverse implementation that is both practical and specific. I haven’t delivered on that pledge as quickly as I had hoped, but I wanted to provide an update as to the new direction it is taking and how it is progressing.

My goal has switched from writing an article which proposes a Metaverse implementation to actually working with a team of people who are interested in exploring and actually implementing an initial specification. In the past few months, I’ve made some progress towards that.

As part of that, I’ve presented the core of the design to two different technical audiences (both skilled in the area of virtual reality). Both audiences received a full disclosure of the (otherwise unpublished) mechanism for the core Metaverse design. They got the basic Metaverse v0.1a blueprint.

The first audience didn’t have much in the way of background information, so the entirety was presented in a vacuum. They were able to see that it made sense, but other than that, there wasn’t much in the way of real enthusiasm for the project. Looking back, I can’t say that I blame them.

Ahead of the presentation, the second audience actively explored a great deal of background information on the subject. This background information explained the more global issues that Metaverse implementations have faced and some of the larger problems in virtual reality (Most of this, you’ll find in some of the earlier articles here at Metaversing.)

After explaining the core technical design, not only did they quickly understand the proposal, but they actually started selling me on the design and explained how it solved some of the issues that they themselves have run into. It went far beyond anything that I had expected from the experience.

The lesson I learned from this was that providing the technical specifics in a vacuum is a horrible way to onboard people to the project. A certain library of background information is required to help people digest the design and to understand the wide-ranging value which it creates.

At this point, my effort is concentrated on the onboarding process. Primarly, it is the documentation which provides that background information, shares the vision for what we are trying to accomplish, presents the initial design, sets a very specific project as a trial run.

An early first draft was sent out to a private review audience, and based on their feedback, I’m in the process of making revisions. I hope to have a complete and second document set to send out in the next few weeks. I’m hopeful that we’ll be able to zero in on a good set of documents sooner rather than later.

So, that’s where the Metaverse proposal is at. It has taken on a more concrete form, and is inching forward quite a bit slower than I had hoped, but it hasn’t died. Far from it!

My apologies for a lack of updates up until this point, and I hope to have something more substantial to share in the near future. Thanks, everyone, for your patience.

Tags:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: